MANES - AMERICAN PEACE PRIZE FOUNDATION
The Bible teaches “Charity is equal to all the other commandments combined”. --- Winston Churchill stated "You make a living by what you get, but you make a life by what you give." --- Andrew Carnegie once said “You should spend the first half of your life making money and the second half of your life giving it away.” --- Hillel, many centuries ago is quoted as saying, “If I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?” --- As a second century sage said: “It is not your responsibility to finish the work (of perfecting the world), but you are not free to desist from it either”. "Life's most urgent question, WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR OTHERS". said by Martin Luther King, Jr.
Beyond a certain point money has no further value. It can’t buy happiness, but it can help others and transform lives. Warren Buffet stated, “I am just giving back surplus that has no value to me but can do a lot for others”. Personally, I have always believed and taught my children that the purpose of life was to help those in need and to make the world a better place for future generations. If that was not the purpose of life then at least it gives one’s life a purpose. Recently, I read a news article about a friend of mine, who developed a charity to help educate children in third world countries. The article inspired me to create my own charity. Bill Gates had difficulty deciding where to donate his money and stated, “It may be harder to give my money away than it was to make it”. After thoughtful consideration, I decided there is no better goal than to promote peace and good will. The next step was to figure out how to best accomplish this goal.
The renowned Nobel Peace Prize, awards its prize to a person from any country in the world. It lost some of its credibility when it gave the award to the renowned terrorist and enemy of Israel, Yassar Arafat. More recently the prize has been described as "hopelessly politicized" by a former U.N. ambassador.
Since there is also an Irish- American Peace Prize and an African-American Peace prize, why not establish a peace prize that is specifically given to any American individual or organization that does the most to promote peace and goodwill in the world. Apparently, the concept of an American peace prize was previously considered in 1923 by Ed Bok, the wealthy editor and originator of Ladies Home Journal. However, there is no record of any individual ever winning his prize. Therefore, I thought it would be appropriate to re-establish the concept of a peace prize given exclusively to an American.
The following institutions or individuals were recipients of the MAPP since 2012
- AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION
- AMERICAN AUTISM FOUNDATION
- PINK TIE CANCER FOUNDATION
- VILLAGE OF LINDENHURST
- STUDIO THEATER IN LINDENHURST
- BEAUTIFY EARTH FOUNDATION
- WOODSTOCK MUSEUM
- JEWISH MUSEUM
- HOPE FOR THE FUTURE MINISTRIES
- SHAMAN DAVID CLOUD
- YANTAHO FOUNDATION
- CLARK BOTANIC GARDENS
- CRIME STOPPERS OF SUFFOLK COUNTY
- CURTIS SLIWA/GUARDIAN ANGELS
- N.Y. AGAINST GUN VIOLENCE
- NASSAU COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART
- THE GLOBAL INSTITUTE
- $1 million dollars awarded to the Nassau County Museum of Art to renovate a 1920 building belonging to the Frick family that was in severe disrepair in order to create the Manes Art and Education Center.
The following institutions or individuals were recently nominated
- PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON
- HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
- ONE SANDWITCH AT A TIME
- YOKO ONO
- MIA FARROW
- STUDIO THEATER
The Qualifications of a Prize Winner
- A The person(s) or organization(s) whose domicile is in the U.S., that does the most in the preceding year, to contribute to the promotion of peace 1) between nations, 2) between races 3) between religions or 4) between people in general. Or
- B the person(s) or organization(s) that does the most in the preceding year, to contribute to “good will” in the following areas 1) health 2) education 3) art 4) welfare (fighting poverty and helping underserved people rise to their own potential).
Amount of Prize
One million dollars was set aside for starting the fund which continues to grown in value. Prizes range from $10,000 - $1 million and are given at least once per year to the person(s), or organization(s) that best fulfill the requirements as stated above.
A committee of no less than 3 individuals will choose the winner of the prize. Individuals may submit an application, and or be recommended by a third party. An outstanding individual can be chosen by the committee without a formal application.
For more information you can email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Harvey Manes American Peace Price Foundation Fund Raiser, a wonderful event that helps support organizations that promote peace and stability in these United States. Great crowd at our First Annual Peace Prize Gala! Huge success! Local talent, Will Wagner & Sevi Regis provided wonderful live music; Lana's Catering of Sag Harbor treated us with amazing yummy delights.
2014 MANES PEACE PRIZE HAMPTON GALA
Special thanks to the following:
- Alana’s Catering – Caterer to the Stars - offers a modern twist on classic cuisine as well as imaginative global culinary creations – Her delightful flavors will inspire and hook you on the tastiest morsels you have ever had served to you – enjoy.
- Beach Bakery - Simon's Beach Bakery Café of 112 Main Street, West Hampton Beach – generously donated delicious goodies.
- Beach Hand Wash Car Wash – donated free car wash coupons – you must check out their lovely café inside and have a refreshing frozen drink while you are there.
- Robert Chartuk has worked tirelessly for hours of service since joining the peace foundation team and special thanks for finding solutions for the impossible.
- Crime Stoppers of Suffolk – spent much effort and time serving the community and working with the gun buy-back program
- Curtis Sliwa and the Guardian Angels – for dedication and innumerable hours keeping your community safe, setting a great example to youth and troubled teens.
- Dr. Harvey’s Pain Relieving Cream – donated great botanical pain relief - the only pain relieving cream invented and developed by a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon.
- George Schwertl of Lloyd Harbor, N.Y. for his generous donation to the Suffolk Police Crime Stoppers gun buyback in Central Islip.
- Kelly Gerber Fine Jewelry - has been seen on many celebrity moms, such as Cindy Crawford, Brooke Shields, Julianne Moore & Faith Hill. Kelly's collection and her vision continue to grow. Kelly's jewelry donated a lovely $200.00 gift certificate.
- Kurt Weiss Greenhouses/Deborah Muller - Provided Stunning floral arrangements and Planters adding such color and festivity.
- Lenz Vineyards; Hat's off to the Lenz winery in Peconic for providing the Peace Prize Gala with a generous donation of fine wine. We enjoyed Lenz wine courtesy of Jerol Rickard, Tasting Room Manager.
- Rob’s Really Good; Thanks to Rob's Really Great for supplying many cases of their exciting new beverage, Zero, for our Gala and for creating a new drink: The "Peace Prize." To make one, mix 4 parts Rob’s Cucumber Zero, 1 part Vodka, and top off with muddled mint.
- Ron Rizzo Fine Jewelry - Began his career as a nationally distributed designer with commissions by Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Ave, and Henri Bendels. Now a renowned Jeweler with his boutique and design studio located in East Hills donated a fantastic hand made bracelet.
- Bob Malkin and Babs - Donated a Stream Side Cottage weekend in their Gorgeous Stream Side Cottage - Walls of glass introduce you to 1,000 feet of stream frontage. Follow the path to the waterfalls and swimming holes.
- Ronnie’s Head Over Heelz - Beautiful and amazing hand bags, shoes, Jewerly and more has donated 20% to the Peace Prize Event.
- Cognac Wellerlane – Champagne kisses to our Beautiful celebrity interviewer. Check out Cognac Corner on the web.
- Diana Pinck, local artist and photographer, Special thanks for her wonderful photography of our event.
- Will Wagner, local artist who entertained us with guitar and hit songs throughout the event. Look him up on Face book.
Read about the event in Hamptons.com http://www.hamptons.com/Out-And-About/For-The-Cause/18549/Manes-American-Peace-Prize-Creator-Dr.-Harvey.html